Update: I offer WordPress training! Check out my complete step-by-step training at http://freshworkshops.com/wordpress
When I started up this blog, I got started with some great tips from my Life Coach on blogging. One thing he said was to create links between my business site and my blog so I went about finding the best way to redirect page links to external websites.
Platform: WordPress 2.6.3 (updated version) in WPMU
This is the best one I’ve found because it’s easy to forward pages or posts. You simply scroll to the bottom and insert the url you would like it to forward to. Done!
Page Links To allows you to point WordPress pages or posts to a URL of your choosing. Good for setting up navigational links to non-WP sections of your site or to off-site resources. By Mark Jaquith.
- Fast redirection
- Mouseover reflects redirected link
- Works with Sharethis
- Built-in to WordPress Post under “Advanced Options”
Screenshot of Page Links To In Action
It creates a new field under “Advanced Options” at the bottom of the posting area and you simply enter in the page it should redirect to.
I tried this one based on a post I found about WordPress redirection at 19 Labs
- Slow redirect
- Have to remember the code syntax to insert into each post
[redirect http://www.google.com 5]
This is the first one I used a few months ago from this blog by Dave Stewart in the UK template-redirect.php at Keyframesandcode.com. It worked great until I started using Sharethis to make it easy for people to share my blog content. I did post to the Sharethis forum and to support about the problem – See redirect page template broke
- Built-in to WordPress Post options as a template option
- Have to remember the formatting syntax to insert into each post (Update from plugin author: No syntax required. oops, sorry about that Dave)
- Doesn’t work out of the box with every theme