Well, after 26 years of living in Minnesota, I’ve decided it’s time to move.
My 3 Reasons For Leaving Minneapolis
- I’m tired of the bad weather. We get hard crusty snow and humid summers. The mosquitos have not been so bad in the last few years but hey, I want to enjoy the seasons, not fear them!
- I want more tech. I want to easily find events dealing with my technology interests and I have a hard time doing that in Minnesota. Dates are uncertain; some years get “skipped” for annual events and there is a big focus here on “corporate” technology. I want to discuss geeky tech stuff with other people who “get it” more often.
SometimesMost times, I feel trapped on a tech island here in the Twin Cities. I’m a cozy small business + cloud computing geek.
- I want more racial diversity. After traveling last year, I realize that the East and West coast are more diverse. I like seeing Brown people, hearing different languages or for that matter, talking to people who speak more than one language! With my very first passport on the way, I am ready to truly embrace a “World culture” and feel that is more likely to happen outside of the Midwest.
My Numerous Reasons For Selecting San Francisco
- I want more technology.
- I want to be surrounded by health conscious people
- I want more sunshine
- I want to attend more technology conferences
- I want to eat more fresh food that is grown locally
- I want floor to ceiling windows (see Adria’s Goals and 21 Things video)
- I want to snowboard on powder without it costing $1,400
- I want a more simplified lifestyle
- I want to change the world and San Francisco has a lot of movers and shakers
This is all for now. I could go into the reasons that I will miss the Twin Cities. There are people here who I find supremely awesome and inspiring. I will miss them.
I have a target move date for April 2010. That’s less than 2 months away. It’s my time to explore the world so here I go! I do find the prospect of moving quite terrifying as you may remember last year just traveling to Chicago left me feeling unsettled. It’s a good time to do this. I’m young, single, no kids and so, so ready to make a difference in the world.
Check back to the blog and this blog post as I will be updating it with the details of my move including:
- How I plan to find a place to live in San Francisco
- My next trip to San Francisco (Late February)
- What I’m bringing with me and what I’m leaving behind
- Photos of apartments I’ve looked at
- How I’m moving my stuff out there
- Moving day
Say Goodbye Or Hello
If you’re in Minneapolis, let’s have coffee together in March. I may do some sort of small get together if it seems like a good fit.
If you’re in San Francisco, reach out as I’ll need help finding a place, getting around and meeting folks.